Beginnings

Welcome to my blog! 
This idea started during the Easter Sunday of 2017 when, during our usual family lunch, I asked my mother if she had any records of our family tree. I was only expecting a simple family tree (although I knew there were records of our ancestors dating back to the XIV century). To my surprise, Mama went down to the basement, and came back with a respectable stack of books, most of which written by my Great Grandfather Siegfried Wiarda. He had done extensive research into the family origins and their wanderings over Europe.
So this is where I come in. I want to follow in his footsteps and make sure this history doesn't get forgotten. I would like to find out what is left, from ancient relics to long lost relatives, probably mostly currently residing in the Netherlands and Germany. Or are they?

My starting point was the family Estate (Wiarda State, pictured below), built in Goutum (Netherlands), circa 1380. Unfortunately, the Estate was demolished in 1882. However, the church (the tower visible in the background of the picture, in the center/right half) is still standing. There is also currently a monument marking the area where the Estate once stood.
There is a lot of fascinating history to be dug. A deep sea of stories to be told. And I'm eager to dive into it.


Wiarda State, built circa 1380 in Goutum, demolished in 1882.
Sources: Wiarda, S. 1973. 1300 - 1500 aus der Friesischen Häuptlingszeit (aus der Sicht der Familie Wiarda). Gemeinnützige Werkstätten Köln. 71 pp.
 http://www.stinseninfriesland.nl/WiardaState.htm (last accessed Apr 20, 2017)

Comments