New tides

Since beginning my research for my family origins, I have been very fortunate. Of course my Mama inherited a lot of literature from her Grandfather, but I also was able to retrieve considerable material online.

One instance has been very special to me, while I was looking for variations in our Family Crest (there will be a post about this later). I found an image I hadn't seen before on a twitter feed by @jeanineotten (original tweet pictured below).

I asked her where the image came from and she promptly responded! She happens to be an art historian at the Museum Hannemahuis (http://www.hannemahuis.nl/), where the image was taken from. This interaction also led to further exchanges with @sneuperdokkum (the Historical Society of Northeast Friesland).

I am so grateful for the ongoing help these two contacts provided so far, and I'm looking forward to more collaborations, as I dig deeper into this amazing path of discovery. An additional piece of information provided by Jeanine Otten is that the Wiarda branch that remained in Harlingen was a family of important merchants and ship owners. So I decided to look a bit into the seafarer portion of the family history.

A model of one of the family ships can be seen in the image below, and the original can be viewed at the Friese Scheepvaartmuseum (http://friesscheepvaartmuseum.nl/).

Wiarda Family Ship Model - friesscheepvaartmuseum.nl

One of the earliest ships owned by Wiardas was a sailing cargo vessel (three sails), built in 1857 (sadly, I have not yet found an image of it). First named "Mittwoch", the ship got caught in a storm in the North Sea, while travelling from Liverpool to Gdansk (Poland) while transporting a load of salt in 1877. Two members of the crew lost their lives, the ship got heavily damaged and three masts were lost. What remained of the ship was towed to Aberdeen and sold. The ship was owned by L. and S. Wiarda between 1878 and 1899. It was first named "Elisabeth" (between 1878 and 1884), and then "Seagull" (from 1884 to 1899). While in the Wiarda's possession, there is no record of any further tragic incidents.

There is a later record of a Wiarda owned business for coal shipping between the Netherlands, England (mainly London) and the Faroe Islands. An add from 1934 can be viewed below.

Wiarda coal shipping business ad - www.kleinekerkstraat.nl

Thank you again, Jeanine Otten, for the amazing input and for pointing me in yet another fascinating direction!

Sources: http://friesscheepvaartmuseum.nl/beeld/fsm-col2-dat20012410 [last accessed Apr 20, 2017]
http://www.marhisdata.nl/main.php?to_page=schip&id=8483 [last accessed Apr 20, 2017]
http://www.kleinekerkstraat.nl/frames.php?p=num2&type=kwartier_1&term=4-027 [last accessed Apr 20, 2017]

Comments